Well, today marks may first week at the construction site as their HR. So much has happened that I scramble loose association of feelings with scents and songs. And I enter a work different from what I knew of in having a career in HR.
To describe my initial work place, it is located in 1881 Taft avenue, Pasay City - named Studio Zen, I was formerly deployed in our main office in Gilmore to help out in 201 files - I breathe and bathe in 201 files for several days but it was a good chance to get familiar with information and "sight seeing" with crush.An instance when my heart skipped a beat was when she stepped on a box of bond paper rims and reached for 201's above a filing cabinet - my heart froze as I contently stared at her then got busted for looking at her as if I was mocking her. (My,oh tsundere siya! Win!!) Going back to how our office at the site, it was a small container van and we were10 people in that temporary office. I was surrounded by people into what I wish I could have been building stuff like Lego, only now it's structured meant to be lived in for 50 years or so. As of now, workers are still digging for foundation, i believe. I handle around 20-35 subcontractor workers and enroll them into a system that captures attendance and represents the department and coordinates with the main office HR regarding concerns on payroll, attendance, benefits and other stuff that I can be associated with. Nothing much to do. I already read a short story from Delirium - Hana as given by Cindy. But as of now we already moved to a temporary shelter-like office, it has more room and has a floor plan that includes a space for me *feels so welcomed and wanted*
| at the main office (sorry, i love this, this way) |
| the sight of the site |
| our new office from our container van |
| more space in new office will give pacing back and forth more thrill |
These people are kind to me not because I'm from HR but they built relationship with each other so they can work well together, and to date I slowly see distinct characteristics that I hope to embody like being concerned genuinely, being brave to accept mistakes... and take initiative to resolve it as soon as possible, being courteous despite the odds. I was oriented that our focus as HR assistants in the sites is customer satisfaction, thus we should smile but I never imagined that I don't have to even fake it. Our project manager is a charismatic leader, as I had witnessed in our budget meeting. And later on, on his father's wake, I came to learn that he is a preacher as well. I was struck by his personality and hope I can be somewhat similar to him. Then our office manager has a serene mother approach in dealing with our work... minus the sugar coating. She is deep down honest, well almost everyone in the site is honest. And there are AUTO CAD (I dunno what this means, but it's a software for designs I believe) operators, designing architects, engineers... who watch anime and read manga. I was at heaven, I will not feel like a stranger with them, and would go on talking about anime this, manga that... and work of course.
Among all HR assistants assigned into various construction site/project, I maybe the luckiest to be assign in such environment. Most of them complain of difficulty of tasks, that the number of workers are just too many and people there are not there likes. I can't really share my sympathies with them, I can't lie. I don't experience it and don't want to keep such negative attitude towards people around work. I really feel warmth from the people from our site as if we knew each other before hand and that we can rely on each other. Then again, is it too soon to say? I don't know, all I know is that I will may use of what I currently have.
| got my steel toe boots |
| my hard hat |
I am truly happy at my job even though at times I feel incompetent in payroll... So I am currently browsing my notes, labor code and payroll policies from my father at work (he's also in HR). I just hope that people in the site and in the company will need me long enough so I can grow and learn more And to quote Jhie's classmate in MA, or so I would try my best to come close to what I was told
"A good HR practioner doesn't think of himself as high and mighty, he is good when he is at the level of the workers he should care for.
| got my sugar ready, i don't easily doze off |
No comments:
Post a Comment